Yesterday was a spinning day. I now have two large bobbins of a blue multi I've been working on as a gift for my sister. She got one installment of three hanks, then I fell off the wheel.... so I am trying to get this project finished in the near future and get it off my list of UFOs. I went to spin with other spinners in Skowhegan, ME with my friend of sheep/farm/chicken notoriety. Lovely day - we each brown bag a sandwich, and the hostess provides dessert and beverage. Several hours of spinning with other spinners - life doesn't get better than this!
And while I work on UFOs, and whittling down my UFO list, I am thinking up new projects, of course. My eldest son, whom I trust doesn't read this blog much if at all, about a dozen years ago or so, asked for me to replace his Christmas stocking with a knit one. Initially, each stocking in the family was going to be a different type of needlework, but somewhere along the line, most were knit. I started an entrelac one for him more than ten years ago. Trouble is that I set it aside without having written down my plans/design, and I had the wrong ratio of ribbing to entrelac. While at Fiber Frolic last month, I found a great colorway at Amy's Spunky Eclectic with which to make a new improved attempt at the entrelac Christmas stocking. And so began the journey. Amy custom dyed me some of that colorway, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, in bulky and worsted weights. The next section will be the designing/knitting of the stocking. These batches have less green in them than the original, but I can add in some green for the toe/heel portions easily enough. Stay tuned!
Also on the fibery front, I joined Amy's Spunky Club. She has subscriptions for either her handpainted yarns or handdyed rovings, sent out monthly. I've wound up subscribing to both. The first mailing was called "Berry Pickin" in a BFL roving. The second one this month (and first for the yarn for me) is called "The New Black". In the photo are both the yarn and the roving (silk!) in the same colorway. Lovely stuff!
And last, but certainly not least, is a bag I acquired. It is large enough for a project bag, and has four outside pockets and two inside pockets. The photo does not do it justice - the fabric is mint for the inside and the edges of the pockets, teal with light teal dots for the "solid" and then the parrot fabric bringing in royal blue, magentas and greens. One of my Kahuna Girl students (Connie : connielozier(at)tds(dot)net ) made this for me, and made a different color one for my DIL's birthday this week. The one for my DIL is black and white - her favorite colors. The main color is black, and there are two different white with black prints used for the bag. Connie's prices are very reasonable and the bags are terrific!
And so, I plied the blue wool for my sister - there are over 400 yards, and more left to spin. I also got some of my silver gray stuff plied. Now on to the dog fur!